Sunday, May 6, 2018

MEMOIR: JAPAN ― OSAKA


Universal Studios Japan

Hollywood Dream

 Wizarding World ― I made it!




Dotonbori at sunset.

Ichiran ramen in a cubicle.


Breakfast from the combini.




 top: Harukoma Sushi

Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Street




Umeda


Sweetest scallops of my life ― Kuromon Ichiba Market



Orange Street

 
Dotonbori







VISIT:
Universal Studios Japan ― Wizarding World & butterbeer (duh), and enthusiastic park attendants which make your rides more fun.

CUPNOODLES Museum at Ikeda ― Cause who doesn't love instant noodles?! And you get to make your own cup of noodles for just 300 yen, an amazing albeit bulky souvenir. 

Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Street ― Apparently the longest shopping street in Japan, and I definitely couldn't see the end of it. So much to see, eat, and shop!

Umeda ― THE place for shopping. So many malls and boutiques here. My sister saw boutiques with promising goods which we unfortunately didn't have the time to check out, so it's definitely a place to return to for me! 

Kuromon Ichiba Market ― I prefer this wayyy more than Tsukiji. I feel that it was easier to navigate through this market and that there were more to eat and buy from here. 

Orange Street ― A hip hood for the hyped. 

Dotonbori ― Oh. How do I begin? The iconic Glico man. The food. The signs. This place is alive and it will be the first thing I think of if somebody mention Japan. And don't forget to go to Don Quijote!

EAT:
Harukoma Sushi at 5 Chome-5-2 Tenjinbashi ― Best sushi we've ever had. I have never seen sushi glistening the way the ones we had at Harukoma did. 

Grilled scallops with butter and soy sauce at Kuromon Ichiba Market ― There were a few stalls selling grilled scallops and the store we went to was located in the middle junction, run by a couple who were, erm, not the most polite people. But the scallops were the best!

Mentaiko Takoyaki at Kuromon Ichiba Market ― Because I love mentaiko and I didn't see it as a topping for takoyaki elsewhere!

Ichiran Ramen, many branches in Japan ― We went to the one at Dotonbori (it's just beside the takoyaki shop, hard to miss!) and by the end of the trip, I've concluded that it's my favourite ramen. It's just so hearty to eat and the cubicle system is damn unique. 

Takoyaki at Dotonbori ― The giant octopus in the street is tough to miss. 

And everything in the combinis, that is, 7-11, Lawson and Family Mart. Especially the dorayaki with whipped cream.

BUY:
All sorts of snacks from Don Quijote and Daiso.

Marushige Kokyu Tiramisu Chocolate ― Caramelised almond coated with chocolate. I've grown to love it since I first had it as a kid many years ago. Bought ours from Tenjinbashisuji Shopping Street. 

Cui-daore Taro Pudding ― The name of this caramel pudding is really misleading because it's definitely not taro flavoured. Nonetheless it's yummy and the packaging is super cute! 

Note:
I spent 4 days in Osaka. This is not my full itinerary, I've only listed my favourite bits here! There were a few gardens/parks on my list but since the cherry blossoms had fallen, I didn't visit them. 

Next: Kyoto & Hakone!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment